Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Books found and read in 2018

New Favorites
I found several new series to read this year along with a new genre - Alaska mystery.

In the Alaska Mystery genre I recommend most highly the Dana Shugak novels by Dana Stabenow.  They center around an Alaska native woman who is a former law enforcement investigator who has retreated back to the village of her birth.  Mysteries then ensue along with a bit of romance and a cast of quirky characters reminiscent of Northern Exposure.  I LOVE these novels.  'Breakup' is probably my favorite.

The second series in this genre is by Sue Henry (Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold series).  This series is missing the cast of ongoing characters but is still a fun read.  Both authors live and work in Alaska and bring their perspective and knowledge on the location to the books. 



I also read all of the Tony and Anne Hillerman novels set in the desert southwest. I had read the first novel in the series before and it just didn't capture me.  I think they get better as the series develops and Anne Hillerman who takes it over from her father brings a new perspective, that of Jim Chee's girlfriend Bernadette Manuelito.  I really enjoyed reading about the Navajo and Hopi cultures and the southwestern locations.  I bought 'Navajoland' a guide to the locations of the Hillerman novels arranged by location name.  This meant I could read that book and remember the novels during the big drive to Texas for Christmas that we did. 



Shanna introduced me to the Circle Universe young adult novels by Tamora Pierce which is a charming fantasy series with a unique take on magic. 

I've had the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris recommended to me on a few occasions. I finally read it and loved it.  It was hard to put down.  I also got the Midnight Texas series in which several minor characters from the Stackhouse novels show up. I recommend it if you like supernatural mysteries. I particularly enjoyed the Texas series since I drive across west Texas on my way to visit family near Dallas. 

I also read the Sherlock Holmes oeuvre. I found it as a collection on audible read by Stephen Fry. It includes brief introductions to each novel or collection of short stories. These were interesting and I enjoyed the whole thing.

I also read a bunch of nonfiction.  Most entertaining biographies I read this year include "Never Have Your Dog Stuffed" by Alan Alda, and Elephant Whisperer" by Lawrence Anthony.  Mike Meyers' "Canada" is both about Mike and about Canada and has one of the best ideas I've heard for living well.  'How soon can we make this funny' when life deals you a difficult time, this concept can help you over the bums.  And speaking of humorous books, I read "My Life and Hard Times" by James Thurber to a colleague on one of our trips across to Boise.  Arlene introduced me to Thurber and this one is always a good one.  Lastly the most inspiring self help book I read in 2018 is "13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do" by Amy Morin.

I read a LOT of books this year.  As long as you define reading as both listening on audible and reading on kindle/paper.  On average I read just over a book a day.  I know that seems excessive, but I read fast and can listen at what my daughter calls chipmunk speed (2-3 times the normal speed of the audiobook).  My reading goals for next year include more new series and fewer overall books.  We'll see how that goes. 

No comments: