Thursday, March 27, 2008

Albuquerque: fifth stop on the southern sabbatical circuit


DSC01471
Originally uploaded by J Semenza
I left around 5:00 a.m. in order to get through the Dallas/Fort Worth megopolis before rush hour. I took highway 287 heading north west. By paying close attention to the signs and breathing deeply I made it through. The rest of the drive through West Texas was tedious in comparison. So I drove and drove and drove stopping at Santa Rosa for the night.

The next morning I drove up to Pecos National Monument where I spotted my first pinyon jays. They are the cutest. Of course I say that about a lot of birds. Pecos (http://www.nps.gov/peco/) is a pueblo indian ruin complete with old ruined mission.

Albuquerque is where I really started seeing the route 66 signs. On the drive from TX to UT I managed to go through Amarillo TX, Gallup NM, Flagstaff AZ, and Winona AZ. On the way to Phoenix I picked up Kingman AZ. It was very hard to get the Route 66 song out of my head. I even ate at a Route 66 diner when I got to Albuquerque.

I loved meeting the librarians at this library. Johann deserves an honorable mention for being one of the most personable librarians I met on my sabbatical. I think I could listen to him for hours.
Innovative, intelligent, and a great natural story teller. We need to invite him to speak at more library association conferences.

Pictures at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604272672825/
UNM photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604331781201/

ROUTE 66 from Wikipedia:
"Route 66", is a popular song and rhythm and blues standard, composed in 1946 by American songwriter Bobby Troup. It was first recorded in the same year by Nat King Cole, and was subsequently covered by many artists including Chuck Berry in 1961 and The Rolling Stones in 1964. The song's lyrics follow the path of the U.S. Route 66 highway, which used to run a large distance across the US, going from Chicago, Illinois to Los Angeles, California.

The lyrics read as a mini-travelogue about the major stops along the route, listing several cities and towns that Route 66 passes through. Specifically mentioned, in order, are

St. Louis, Missouri;
Joplin, Missouri;
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma;
Amarillo, Texas;
Gallup, New Mexico;
Flagstaff, Arizona;
Winona, Arizona;
Kingman, Arizona;
Barstow, California; and
San Bernardino, California.

Winona is the only town out of sequence in the list. It was a very small settlement east of Flagstaff, and might indeed have been forgotten if not for the song's lyric, "Don't forget Winona", written to rhyme with "Flagstaff, Arizona." --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_66_%28song%29

No comments: