Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas/Holiday Activities: Part 1

Decorating for the Holidays... We put up or Christmas decorations on Thanksgiving weekend. I take it slow and watch movies. Usually it's the extended Lord of the Rings series. This year, my family voted for the Harry Potter movies instead.

1st – Wednesday - Lunch with the Girls (Maura, Robin & Loretta) at Ruby Tuesday
This was very fun, talked to Maura about her hosting a New Years Eve party. :)

4th – 5th Satunday & Sunday
Cookie baking weekend
• 12 dozen chocolate chip cookies
• 8 dozen peppermint bark cookies
• 8 dozen peanut butter toffee bit cookies

7th – Tuesday
Not feeling well, stayed home from work. It ended up lasting the week.

8th – Wednesday - Xmas potluck at Work - skipped too sick
MADE: Applesauce Spice Cake in the morning, too sick to bring it to work, it was lovely to just eat instead.

10th – Friday - Cookie Exchange at work - skipped too sick
Bagged chocolate chip cookies and sent them in to work with Shanna for Cookie Exchange

11th – Saturday
I was supposed to go to Salt Lake City to visit Mom, Rebecca, Jessica, Doug & Rachel. I was feeling better, but didn't go down to visit. I was afraid of giving my illness to my pregnant sister and her young child. Instead Mom came up that evening for a visit, which was awesome.

12th – Sunday
Visit with mom till she left for Logan around 2:00

13th – Monday - Lunch at Remo's with reference crew: Cheryl, Kristi, Spencer, Regina and Emily
Another fun time, but we always have a good time hanging out or even in meetings. I am very lucky to work with such great people.
Work and work and work

14th – Tuesday
Work and work and work
MADE: Baklava for tomorrow's party

The fire alarm snafu...
Shanna and I made a baklava, we put it in a big jelly roll pan instead of the normal cake pan. It ended up using twice as much of everything but the Filo. Because of this it overflowed in the oven during the baking. As I pulled it out of the oven I saw big clumps of debris on the floor of the oven. I left the oven door open, as is my wont when I am finished baking. After all, why waste the warm air when it is so cold outside. What I didn't know was that there would be smoke from the remains of the clumps in the oven. It set off the fire alarm. We had recently purchased a new "for kitchens" fire alarm. It works. It emits a really loud set of three beeps then pauses and repeats, indefinitely. At first I just shut the door to the oven and the big door between the kitchen and me hoping it would turn itself off once the air/smoke ratio normalized. That didn't happen. Barkley started crying about the sound and Shanna, taking matters into her own hands pulled it off the ceiling. After turning it off she left it on the washing machine because it was way too high for her to put it back. We then went to bed.

Meanwhile, Nick had been out and about shopping for Christmas Presents. He didn't know what happened. Upon his return he saw the cooling baklava and this triggered in him a need to clean the oven. It is one of the self-cleaning type so he turned it on, never opening it, and went down to his office. Later the alarm went off, it penetrated my sleeping brain, but I assumed it was just a leftover alarm from the baking. It kept going, finally I smelled a new icky burning smell and thought, maybe the house really was on fire this time. I got up and went out and was greeted by the ferociously thick smoke emanating from the oven. I met up with a very confused Nick who explained that he had tried to clean the oven. I nodded and went back to bed.

The next morning confusion unraveled, Nick had banged on the sleeping Shanna's door accusing her of taking the alarm down but not turning it off. She became equally confused having decided to just ignore the second blaring of the alarm. We unconfused him by explaining the first alarm, and he explained how he hadn't looked in the oven before turning it on to be cleaned. I had gone to bed with the intention of scraping out the clumps in the morning, but that was no longer necessary. The only thing left to do was to vacuum out the ashy remains. Thank heavens the baklava didn't acquire any flavor from the smoke in the kitchen that night.  It was fine and yummy...

15th – Wednesday - Holiday party at Sandi's (Social Activity 8)
Work and work and work
Holiday party at Sandi's was great fun, lots of interesting people and the view from their house is stunning.

No comments: