Thursday, July 15, 2021

Summer Bedroom 2021

Bedroom Revision: Romantic Cowgirl
July 2021

Over the 4th of July weekend Shanna and I went to Texas to visit, to bird, and to pick up an antique washstand, bowl and pitcher that my mother left me. I remember her refinishing furniture in the 60's and 70's. I think she refinished this washstand when we lived in Taylor Idaho in the early 1970s. The pitcher and bowl were my great aunt Jenny's. Mom wore the boots when she was on the stage playing Annie Oakley in Annie Get Your Gun back in the 60s. She was very talented.

Here's the washstand with pitcher, bowl, and mirror
_JLS9931

Since the divorce I've been thinking about swapping out my king size bed for something smaller. Something that would give me more room in my bedroom. Now I had a substantial reason to do so. I wanted to make room for the washstand. It was also time for my bedroom to have a new look. You know that I like to change the look of my bedroom every 6 months or less so this is no huge surprise. This time I took a new cowgirl direction. I call it Romantic Cowgirl.

I picked up the hide now mounted on the wall in Texas too.
_JLS9943

The team delivering my new mattress looked at my california king bed and asked in worried tones if I knew the size of the delivery. I reassured them that yes, I knew I was getting a double bed and yes I had a frame already. They were super sweet about removing the old matress and breaking down my large frame. I stored it in my garage for future use or gifting.

Some of the bedding from the king bed still works like this poppy covered quilt, but there are others that are going to be shared out. I took this opportunity to add another layer of details such as changing all finials to faceted faux crystals
_JLS9927

My sister Nanette is a gifted knitter/crochet artist and she gave me this amazing afghan while I was visiting. I found this marvelous chair at a thrift store then had it recovered in the green plush. It's a good chair for reading.
_JLS9925

This crystal lamp came from my mother and she is also responsible for the wooden fruit box. She bequeathed me a love of boxes and I have to fight the urge to buy ALL THE BOXES. The lamp is sitting on an old fashioned record cabinet where I keep my guitar music. Mom refinished this piece also.
_JLS9921

My two dressers (super cheap black ones from Walmart to go with all of the solid pieces and antiques). The ring box is sitting on another refinished fruit box from my mom.
_JLS9905

Here's my contribution to refinished furniture. Mom did a number of pieces in a blue with black glaze back in the 60s. I did this one in red with a black glaze. I found the dresser at a thrift store back in the 90s.
_JLS9903

A last look, notice the double curtains. Shanna helped me hang these fancy rods. The embroidered flower sheers I picked up at a thrift store in Utah and the green drapes used to hang on the four poster king size bed. I picked up the Navajo rug just south of Cortez CO at Thunderbird Trading and I can't remember where the roses rug came from. I'm very happy with this romantic, joyful, nostalgic room.
_JLS9892

- Jenny

No comments: