Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Last Weekend

I left Idaho Friday morning and met up with Annie at the parking lot of the State Library. We then spent a very enjoyable afternoon shopping at Sam Weller (books), Asian Market (food stuffs), and The Dancing Crane (imports). For dinner Jessica and I ended up at an upscale restaurant named Pine. The food was very tasty, which was a surprise since it was trendy, complicated and could have been overwrought. That evening I found out that the manager who was to speak to Annie’s class wasn’t going to make it the next day. After talking it over I volunteered to do it, if they wanted me.

The next day dawned with Hannah coming down the stairs saying, “Mom wants you upstairs now.” Not a good moment. Apparently Rebecca is very allergic to mold, specifically the mold from her plants in the garden. After a trip to the urgent care center we grabbed some breakfast and then started shopping for something for me to wear to speak in. Neither of us thought that my tie-dyed, beaded t-shirt was appropriate. I found a lovely blue velveteen jacket that fits like a dream, a white tank top with butterflies and sequins and a pair of high heeled sandals, a’la Candies from the 1970’s.

I looked good, though I regretted the high heels after standing, walking, swaying, and leaning there for an hour and a half. I ended up talking with the co-coordinator of the program for an additional 30 minutes. She’d been having difficulties with job interviews. I explained that the most likely cause of her not being hired had nothing to do with her and could just as easily be about an inside candidate or someone who just moved to the state with 10 years of experience in the same job. You really can’t second-guess why you weren’t hired. If it is a real concern, asking is a possibility. OF course, having someone proof your resume and cover letter along with a short course on interviewing skills is always in order. I highly recommend that librarian use their gift of research to find answers to any kind of hiring, or management problem.

Rebecca, Annie and I went to dinner at the Olive Garden and then Annie and I watched a dvd of Eddie Izzard. He is hysterical. Unfortunately the sugar and caffeine of the day before caught up with me and I slept through a large chunk. I did wake up and watch the end with the very funny big about technology and printing. I accidentally hooked Annie on my Boggle game. I’ll have to keep an eye out for another copy of it in the stores.

Sunday I got up really, really early, packed and was on the road by 7:00 a.m. I had told our friend Kris that she could come over and use my kitchen to make medieval candies. I had a great time talking, smelling and laughing as she cooked and I played/updated/mucked about with my Library Thing database. I’m a librarian, what can I say, I had to get my subject headings corrected.

So that was my fun filled weekend.

After later
Jenny

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so much fun having you guys at the house! Isn't Annie the coolest? Thanks again for taking me to urgent care. LOL. That was odd.

Jenny Lynne said...

Rebecca, you are a doll to let us stay at your house. Hugs -- Jenny