Thursday, March 13, 2008

Las Cruces: fourth stop on the southern sabbatical circuit


DSC00676
Originally uploaded by J Semenza
I began my drive to Las Cruces with a very, very tedious drive through Tucson's morning rush hour. Note to self: do not reserve a hotel on the other side of town from your next destination. Additionally, tis better to sleep in than play stop and go in rush hour.

Chiricahua (http://www.nps.gov/chir/) pronounced "cheery cow ah" is a national monument located in the southeast corner of Arizona. It is a stunning pile of volcanic rock formations with high desert vegetation. My goal to visit every national park and monument I could took me off the freeway to this gorgeous spot. As I got to the park I spotted a few tiny white tailed deer. Later I got to see my first Mexican Jay (arizona variety). The bird was hopping around the parking lot looking for food.

It is so frustrating to be a birder, but not good enough at it to spot all the great birds. Particularly when you're visiting a special 'these birds are only found here' spot. Frustrating to hear the birds but not be able to spot them. AAAAAAAaRRRRRGGGGGH. Melinda and I will have to come back here.

I took the long way back to the freeway and drove on dirt roads past Fort Bowie and lots of nut tree orchards. One of the orchards had this amazingly large flock of crows. They were in the trees, on the ground and everywhere. As I drove up to the fields they would swarm up and over, swirling among the still bare trees.

I finally got to my hotel in Las Cruces only to discover that I had booked myself into a D.I.V.E. The good thing was they screwed up my reservation and had me in a smoking room so I was able to extricate myself from the deal with no costs *phew*. Next problem, how to find a new hotel. Solution - call Nick. He was able to get me into a different hotel, he also helped me get un-lost. This is one of the few towns where I didn't have a map.

The next morning I went to the university. The campus is stunning and the people at the library were fabulous, interesting and innovative. I finished up with them in the early afternoon and headed for El Paso to pick up Melinda.

Road to Las Cruces including Chiricahua: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604113476916/
New Mexico State University: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604122180011/

No comments: