Sunday, March 30, 2008

Grand Canyon, Kanab, Bryce Canyon and Home


Nick & Jenny
Originally uploaded by J Semenza
March 28 & 29 2008

Day 1:

Strange how things work out. Nick's geoscience seminar class went to the Grand canyon for spring break. I finished my intriguing and educational interview with NAU's library and headed to the Grand Canyon myself. While driving through the Ponderosa pine forests outside of Flagstaff I got a call. I shouldn't have gotten a call, seeing as how signal strength just wasn't very good. Apparently someone wanted a job reference for Annie. I told them to email me with a date and time for the following week when I would be back home.

Again, I wish I had had more time, the scenery is so beautiful. I got to see the views from the Southern rim for the first time. I had hiked part way down on the North side when I was a geoscience student years ago. I tried to find condors, but no luck. while there, I got a call from Nick saying I could pick him up in Page UT and that we'd call to make further arrangements. Of course, phone signal is iffy out in the wilds of Arizona and Utah. The road to Page from the Grand Canyon is gorgeous.

We got connected enough that I was able to find him behind the urger King in Page. Scruffy, tired, filthy but happy, we piled his stuff into the big red suitcase and headed for Kanab where I had reservations at another hotel. We got to drive over the Glenn Canyon dam and past the much reduced Lake Powell.

Day 2:

It was great having someone help me with my bags! We headed out fairly early, our first stop was a funky tourist trap called Moqui Cave. It had been a dance hall and now was a museum, family history stop run by a very garoulous guy. He was great, but we had to hit the road. I had wanted to drive through Zions, but we missed the turn, drat. I had been through there before on the way back from Sarah's. So we drove and drove and went to Byrce Canyon. There I spotted my very first white breasted nuthatch. We did a bit of walking and looking but the clock was ticking and it is a very long drive to Pocatello.

Kinda nifty having Nick with me on the way home...

Photos from Northern Arizona University:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604328549608/

Photos from the Grand Canyon and road to Kanab:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604360160126/

Photos from Bryce Canyon, and the road to Pocatello:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604361393786/

No comments: