Thursday, June 25, 2009

Grays Lake


DSC08491
Originally uploaded by J Semenza
So why did I have so much time off and time with friends? Well, originally we had planned a 4 day campout Thurs-Sun. The Idaho weather decided we weren't going to get to do that. It had rained so much that even if it had stopped the campgrounds were still going to be closed because of mud.

I had also taken Monday off thinking I'd need a day to recover. After sleeping in I decided to go and do something. By now the sun had come out and the weather was spectacular. Again nature was displaying its finest in green with accents and fields of flowers.

Doing something for me nowdays means birding. So off I went, South instead of my usual North and circumnavigated the Grays Lake National Wildlife Refuge. There were a LOT of good birds. I was particularly excited to see the 4 Long-billed curlews flying in for a landing. Once landed, I couldn't see them at all. This wildlife refuge doesn't have the viewing areas that you can find at Camas or Market Lake. Still my list was quite good and I got to watch Red-tailed hawk after Red-tailed hawk after Red-tailed hawk. I've been studying raptors hoping to be better able to identify them on the wing. I think I really know the RT hawk now.

Ravens
Crows
Red-winged blackbirds
House sparrows
Rock doves
Great blue herons
Long-billed curlews
Horned larks
Vestper sparrows
Cliff swallows
Tree swallows
Brown headed cowbirds
American goldfinches
Magpies
Robins
Western meadowlarks
Mallards
Redheads
Cinnamon teals
American wigeons
Yellow-headed blackbirds
Coots
White-faced ibises
American avocets
Wilson's phaleropes
Canada geese
A.White pelicans
Osprey
Western Bluebirds
Turkey vultures
Common terns
Sandhill cranes
Coppers hawk
and a Mule deer

I drove home the long way up through Wyoming then Palisades, Ririe and Idaho Falls. It was also gorgeous and added to the bird list. I am most proud of the Coopers hawk identification. Woo Hoo!

No comments: