Friday, May 21, 2010

Utah Library Association - May 14 - 15

All Photos from Zion's National Park: Kolob Canyon

May 14th Conference/Presenting

DSC01870

I realized the night before that I would need to download the youtube videos to my computer and play them directly from there instead of pulling them from the internet. The internet at the conference center was too thready. So for the most part of the conference day I sat behind the exhibits area and downloaded, first a program to pull youtube videos to the computer then the videos themselves. It was tricksy with the internet being difficult and took about 4 hours for me to accomplish. ARRRGH. I am very glad I did it, cause the presentation went very smoothly.

DSC01885

For lunch we were invited up to the reserved table. This was a big mistake. Some of us were smart and left before the speaker began, but not me. NOOOO I had to stay and listen and then had to get up and walk out because he was running long and I had a computer that needed setting up for all of us. However, the luncheon speaker was fantastic. Music, creativity, scenery, a lovely presentation that I hated leaving early.

DSC01894

Our session, unlike the others I attended really did incorporate active learning techniques. I used the Cephalonian method, Annie used learning teams, and Regina used a hands on exercise. Cheryl began the session with a lecture that had lots of useful and helpful URLS which kept the note takers busy. All in all we did very well, especially for a two hour last session of the conference time slot. Our attendees stayed and a few others came in. Only one left and she told us why during the break.

DSC01902

I looked for dinner on the internet using the open door between the two rooms to facilitate the flow of information and suggestions. We settled on the 25th and Main restaurant. It serves sandwiches, salads, and cupcakes. I overdid it on the cupcakes, but what I didn't know was that the sandwich I ordered came with a full helping of food poisoning.

DSC01914

I started cramping in the middle of the night and got up and down and up and down. Eventually, I prayed that things would improve. I was doubled over in pain and relief seemed to escape me. Moments later things started to come up and out and I've never been so happy to be barfing. It was an excrutiating night. I was mostly awake and in the bathroom for one reason or the other. In the morning, we had planned on leaving early, early to visit Kolob, I declared an emergency and had Cheryl drive me to Albertsons where I bought a bottle of Pepto. It started to help immediately.

DSC01964

May 15th Driving Home

We took off. Dawn was breaking over the mountains and though I felt like 10 miles of bad road we went to Kolob canyon. The lighting was exquisite. The scenery gorgeous and the flocks of Western Tanagers surprising. Then off we went towards home. Cheryl and Regina took turns with the driving. After dropping Annie off we stopped at Thanksgiving Point for lunch. Though I just stayed in the car with my napping and my bottle of pepto. I've never been more grateful to get home and go to bed. I had a horrible ending to an otherwise amazing experience.

DSC02023

For more photos see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157625367951323/

(Written Dec 2010)

No comments: