Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day Twenty - Back to Westlock

Thursday June 12th 2008
Drive from Fort St. John to Dawson Creek to Westlock
391 miles – estimated 8 hours driving time

DSC06675

We were on our way out of town when we were stopped for a traffic jam due to construction on a bridge. So we're sitting there waiting and I look out my window and notice smoke, then flame, then fire, then really big fire. All the while I am hoping that there is nothing explosive in close proximity to the fire. I was very grateful when the traffic started moving and we got away from it.

DSC06679

We crossed many, many bridges on our drive north. Every single roadbed on every single bridge was made of metal. Because of the bridge construction just outside of Fort St. John I finally got a decent picture of the roadbed. It's not a solid piece but a grid. EEP.

DSC06684

Image: Alberta Pool Elevator

A pool elevator...? What the heck is a pool elevator? I know a grain elevator is a building for storing grain, but pools?!? I wonder just what they are up to in Dawson Creek.

DSC06697

As we made our way back into Alberta I began to appreciate the restfulness of the flatter scenery. The green expanses and the stands of trees were very welcoming. I would really love to go camping at Lesser Slave Lake sometime in my future. It is a HUGE body of water. Of course, I want to go camping everywhere I went so ….

DSC06691

Westlock was a familiar face and I was very glad to be so close to home. We once again stocked up on goodies from their grocery store and had a last dinner at JD’s Roadhouse.

Best Western Westlock
10520 100th Street
Westlock, Alberta T7P 2C6, Canada

Receipts:
Best Western – Fort St. John BC
Shell Canada – Fort St. John BC
Shell Canada – Slave Lake AB
JD’s Roadhouse Café – Westlock AB
Sobeys (grocery) – Westlock AB


Image to right: Lesser Slave Lake

Wildlife & Birds:
Ravens
Northern (Yellowshafted) Flicker
White Crowned Sparrow
American Kestrel
Red Winged Blackbird
Common Tern
Franklins Gulls
Magpies
Green Winged Teal
Lesser Scaups
Brewers Blackbirds
Robins
Swallows
Mule Deer
Moose

For more from this flickr set see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157605662555510/

DSC06676

No comments: