Thursday, June 05, 2008

Day Thirteen - Anchorage Interview

interior entry

Image: Interior entry to library

Thursday June 5th 2008
Interview University of Alaska Anchorage

This interview was very fun, Arlene walked me through the library then I met with the librarians who were equally great. Nick found a great spot to hang out and read – the gorgeous atrium in the library.

Afterwards Arlene took us to lunch at a fabulous pizza place (The Moose’s Tooth). I have tried to eat spinach salad before, but nothing prepared me for the marvelous baby spinach salad of this restaurant. Tres magnifique.

She led us to a couple of stores. The first New Sagaya is a huge grocery store, only it’s organic, and imported (of course) and has EVERYTHING. We’ve been looking for palm vinegar for a year. We found it in Anchorage. Oh, and ghiradhelli unsweetened chocolate powder, eyup, it was here too. We loaded up on chocolate, cheese and fruit to eat for dinner.

Next was the AK Wild Berry Products where I succumbed to more hand-made chocolates and a magnate or two.

Later we talked and ate and laughed until I called it a night.

Receipts:
AK Wild Berry Products (food and souvenirs) – Anchorage AK
New Sagaya (food and souvenirs) – Anchorage AK

Interestingly, while looking at souvenirs I spotted some art pieces made by a Kent Heindel. I laughed and said I knew a guy named Kent Heindel, we are cousins, sorta. He is first cousins with my first cousins... He used to come and hang out on the ten acres with his brothers and help us have all sorts of fun. Anyway, I just joked that it might be him. Several months later at a family reunion I find out it really was him! He moved to Anchorage years ago where he is an artist (master sculptor). That was very cool.

Photo set from University of Anchorage visit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157605565401010/

atrium3

Image: Atrium at UA-Anchorage

No comments: