Monday, April 13, 2009

Lentil Stuffed Zucchini


This post on "This is why you're thin" blog made me create my own lentil stuffed Zucchini recipe. The image is from their post.


I am using old lentils (don't ask me how old, I have no idea). I cooked 1/2 cup lentils in vegetable broth till they were just done. For me this was approx an hour. Your timing may vary. There is very little in the way of liquid remaining in the pot.

Saute 1/4 yellow onion till almost translucent in olive oil
Add 1-2 cloves minced garlic
Add 1/4 diced red bell pepper
Stir fry till onion is translucent and peppers are almost done.
Add this to the lentils in the pot
Add 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste
Add 1/4 cup tomato based pasta sauce
Simmer briefly to reduce the liquid (I simmered it while prepping the zucchini).

Set oven to 350 degrees F
Scrub 2 zucchini,
Cut in half
Hollow them out putting the scooped parts into the lentil pot

Put zucchini in an oiled baking dish (I used olive oil)
Stuff them with the lentil mixture (If it is too soupy use a strainer to remove the excess)
Excess lentil mixture can be placed around the zucchini

Bake in oven for 15 minutes

Shred parmesan cheese approx 1/2 cup - 1 cup
Sprinkle over top and return to zucchini to oven for another 5-10 minutes.

I like to leave my zucchini quite crunchy so I only bake for 20 minutes. You can bake longer if you like.

I was surprised by how much Nick & I liked this. I'm not that fond of zucchini, and Nick isn't that fond of lentils.

2 comments:

Nanette South Clark said...

This looks yummy! You are so talented.

Anonymous said...

Right back at you sistah. I understand you've become quite the chef down in Texas. - JLS