Thursday, April 30, 2009

April in American Falls


DSC07650
Originally uploaded by J Semenza
April to me is about springtime. Birds start returning, trees begin to bud. This April I spent a lot of time in Utah. On one of the few weekends I was home I went out to American Falls. Here I found many birds and much water.

Birds included:
Robins, Pelicans, Magpies, R. doves, M. doves, N. flickers, A-w Pelicans, Common mergansers, DC cormorants, Ring neck ducks, Great blue herons, Northern harriers, A. crows, White-crowned sparrow, Common loon, Coots, Mallards, California gulls, Swainson's hawk, R-t Hawk, House sparrows, Red winged blackbirds, and Red-breasted mergansers...

I loved finding an osprey near the fish hatchery. I know it was trying to find a way past the protective netting.

Best of all was surprising two bald eagles in the trees in the cemetary. The American Falls cemetary is set on a cliff above the river and the trees were on the cliff side. I'm sure those two birds were hunting/fishing. I was probably more surprised than they were. I did not expect them to be there.

No comments: