Thursday, January 14, 2021

The Great British Baking Show

 I like reality competition shows.  After a year of fending off "you will love this show" I finally gave in and watched a season of the Great British Baking Show.  

Now one of the big reasons I did not want to watch the show is that I like to bake. I like to bake cookies, truffles, cake, pies, etc...  I am also diabetic so having a ton of sweets in my house is not a good thing. I was very afraid that watching this show would inspire me to bake.  Well, I was right and wrong.  It does inspire me to bake, but I can add self talk about how complicated their bakes are. How much work. And I'd rather go read.  For the most part this tactic has worked.  I've only occasionally broken down and baked brownies or cake after watching an episode. 

Shanna and I started by watching season 5 which was in reruns on my local PBS station.  I was immediately sucked in.  I loved it.  I love the complexity of the baking, the surprise of the technical challenge, the creativity the contestants display and most of all the reality of the people themselves.  They are so very human. Funny, talented, interesting and sometimes just a little nuts.  


After finishing this season with Shanna I found my sofa, grabbed my needlepoint and binge watched all of the other seasons via Netflix.  I definitely recommend this series.  - Jenny



No comments: