Thursday, January 21, 2021

Totem Animal for 2021: Bison

Yellowstone bison

DSCN8593

I was surprised when the bison appeared as my totem animal for 2021. Every year I expect not to have a new animal but I wait for signs and nudges and inevitably they appear. In this case finding out that a new baby white bison had been born in Montana was a big sign but so was a fascination with a beautiful calcite carving I had recently acquired. 

Antelope Island bison

_JLS5495

What does the bison mean to me? Well it has a huge physical presence and a calm demeanor until it isn't calm then it is willing to charge obstacles and mow them down. The baby bison are playful and adorable perhaps bringing some fun along in this coming year. The adults trudge through the trials of snow, water, frisking subadults, and other adversities. I think this year may require ongoing patience and putting one foot in front of the other. There is a Lakota (Teton) legend of White Buffalo Woman who came to the tribes bearing wisdom and gifts teaching sacred ceremonies and promising to return in time. She stopped as she was walking away and rolled over four times. As she rolled she changed first into a black buffalo, then a brown buffalo, a red one and finally a white female buffalo. - Handbook of Native American Mythology by Dawn E. Bastian and Judy K. Mitchell, 2004.   For me, I'm going to work on improving four aspects of my life: spiritual, physical, mental, and social.

White bison on the way to Victor

_JLS1193b

Evolution then could be another theme for the year, moving forward on different aspects of life. Recognizing the sacred, and being grateful for what I have is another. The wisdom of gratitude could help make this year bearable as the pandemic continues. 

Elk vs Bison in Yellowstone. Yes in the end the Elk got out of the way.

_JLS8186

More about the new white bison: 

Frisky baby bison

JLS00667b

No comments: