Thursday, May 31, 2007

Baton Rouge

I got up really early this morning (4:30 am) so we could be on the road by 5:00. Dad needed/wanted company on the drive to Baton Rouge Louisina. It was a great drive. We talked and drove and looked at the trees lining the road. And then we talked some more and continued to drive and look at the trees lining the road. I've now driven crosswise (or diagonally) across Louisiana and what I know for certain is that they have trees and roads. Oh, and lest we forget, Cattle Egrets. Those birds were everywhere. In breeding plumage with the butterscotch feathers they were gorgeous.

Eventually we drove across the longest bridge imaginable. I've been across the Key's 7 mile bridge. I think this one is longer. It crosses mushy land, swamp, creeks, and a river. After 7 hours of driving (yes we did take breaks) we arrived at our destination in Baton Rouge.

Dad was meeting with the Pastor, her husband and assistant to talk about building a church. She was the brightest spark I've met in quite awhile. I'd love to add her to my collection of friends, but it seems unlikely since I can't seem to remember her name. So they talked, and I listened for 2.5 hours.

And then, guess what we did... Wait for it... Eyup, we DROVE, back to Texas. Wheeeeeeee. So I crossed the Mississippi River twice, and the Atchafalaya River twice (at least) and the crosswise of Louisiana twice, and.... I've seen Shreveport, Alexandria, Lafayette and Baton Rouge, from the road. :)

It was fun talking with dad. And I'm particularly greatfull that Nick gave me his MP3 player. Very useful when Dad needed to sleep and I got to drive.


After Later
Jenny

No comments: