Sunday, October 26, 2008

Spiced Walnuts

Just made another batch of these today. We use them in a salad, I'll post next. -- Jenny

Spiced Nuts
4 cups walnuts (I keep an additional 1-1.5 cups of walnuts on hand in case the syrup will cover more) Also, other nuts can be used. I've even mixed walnuts and pecans together.
1.5 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp water (this is equal to 1/4 cup and 1/8 cup water)
1 tsp vanilla

Put 1/2 of the nuts (2 cups) into a large bowl (metal or glass). Keep the other half in another container.

Cook the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and water in a small-medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously till the temperature reaches 234 - 240 degrees farenheit (soft ball stage).

Poor over nuts and stir, continue adding nuts and syrup till all is mixed well. Sometimes we have added more nuts to sop up the excess syrup.

Spread onto wax paper to cool. As it cools you can break the walnuts into smaller pieces if desired. I do this if I am using it on salad. I don't do it if I'm giving them away as candy.

No comments: