Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Riverwalk


DSC07342
Originally uploaded by J Semenza
I have mentioned in other blog posts that I am obsessed with the Bonneville Flood. When I discovered that the Riverwalk was to be led by Geoscience Professor Paul Link and he would be discussing/pointing out geology related to the flood I HAD to go. As expected it was very interesting.

This was the same morning as the homecoming parade. So after the fruitless attempt to help with the library float, I dashed over to Mocha Java for a bit of Chai to warm me up for the second morning walk. Somehow I managed to get there before Nick and Barkley. Barkley loved hearing about the flood, or maybe he just liked being outside with so many people.

This is a picture of one of the many boulders that the Bonneville flood ripped out of the basalt lava, tumbled till smooth and deposited all over Pocatello. Dig anywhere in downtown Pocatello and you find monstrous black boulders. Apparently, these are much coveted for landscaping...

My other entries on the Bonneville flood are here:
http://jsemenza.blogspot.com/2006/04/geology-lake-bonneville-timeline.html
http://jsemenza.blogspot.com/2006/04/geology-lake-bonneville.html

After that walk, we returned the doggie to the house and went to the baglery for lunch. A pleasant day, I walked 5 miles before lunch.

No comments: