Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Book Review: Good Time Girls

Written by Lael Morgan, "Good Time Girls of the Alaska-Yukon Gold Rush" is a book that we picked up in our travels in Alaska. I finally finished it last week.

It is an extremely well researched book. Ms. Morgan definitely did the work to make certain her sources were valid. The scope of source material is also outstanding, from newspapers to legal records. It is beautifully illustrated with photos of the girls/women involved in the text.

The book contents are fascinating enough that I read the whole thing. Okay, here's the thing. I hate scholarly writing styles. I know that academics are encouraged to write in a manner that adheres to a dispassionate, even handed, balanced accounting of the facts. But I find this to be boring and tedious. I bet Ms. Morgan has delightful anecdotes about her research process, what she learned that she could not include for lack of verification, and it would have been fascinating to see how she felt about what she learned. I am very, VERY tired of dry academic writing.

"Good Time Girls" is fabulous in that the topic is quite interesting and entertaining and the quotes and stories are delightful. I even laughed out loud at one point, which was quite a surprise. So my rant against academic writing is leavened in this case. I'd love to hear Ms. Morgan talk about this book, the women in it, and how her research process went. I bet that's even better than the book. Alternately, if Lael Morgan has literary interests, she could mine her material for novels and short stories.

I do recommend reading this if you have an interest in the history of Alaska or the Yukon, or in the roles of women settling/opening the west.

No comments: