Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Huckleberry Picking

DSC08579Thursday I had a mad compulsion to go find our old berry patch and see if there were any huckleberries. It's early for berries to be sure, but I just needed to know where the patch was. I left work early and headed North. No I'm not going to tell you where my patch is. Go find one yourself, or come with us next time.

Sure enough the berries were out in abundance, lovely purple berries of deliciousness. I picked until the bugs drove me out. I managed to get about a cup and a half in my hour of picking. That evening Nick & I feasted on the berries for dessert.

DSC08570

DSC08581I then let the clan know of my plan. Saturday morning we left Pocatello early (as in 7:00 a.m.) met up with friends in Idaho Falls and ventured out for berries. The patch was wet with newly fallen rain and dew and we were soaked to the knees before finishing.

Back in Idaho Falls we had lunch at the Brownstone Restaurant & Brewpub and talked and laughed till it was time to call it a day.

We netted a nice haul of 6.5 cups of berries now frozen in 1/4 cup measures for later use as toppings for ice cream, cheesecake and pancakes or fruit salad. We ate some too. Nothing like eating berries off the bush in the wilderness.

No comments: