Monday, January 17, 2022

Today's photo challenge: A face in an inanimate object

Here's another one from my nostalgia file. My parents went to Alaska back in the 60s. They brought me home this totem pole. I loved it so much I kept track of it all of these years.

Arlene: Jenny Might be bone--unless your folks were willing to spend $$$$$ on tourist stuff. Even back then carved ivory didn't come cheap. I don't know how you'd tell bone vs ivory visually, I don't know enough about either. I'm really not the person to ask, sorry. I'm mostly puzzled as to why a SE AK representation would have been carved in a media primarily associated with NW AK and without a lot of trade goods running between, historically. But then the tourist market doesn't always distinguish. Do you have any clue where in AK your parents went?

11 face 2


No comments: