Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Today's photo challenge: Something that makes you happy

I thought about taking a photo of Shanna, but she's someone I love and makes me happy not something.

I took several photos today. The view from my office, the art wall in my office, but this one is my favorite even though it isn't very artistic. The hutch is from my mother's mother. This grandmother brought it back to the mainland from Hawaii. Many of the shells were collected by my mother and/or sisters. The box on top of the hutch was painted by the same grandmother and the horse was painted by Aunt Anna. My sister gave me the Dala horse salt and pepper shakers as a nod to our Scandinavian heritage. And the art piece is hand painted on banana leaves that my mother fell in love with when we were in Hawaii visiting. All of these things remind me of my heritage, my family and the love of beauty and the study of the natural world that is part of all of us. Even the plants evoke memories of my mother and her green thumb. We lived in a very green world for most of our lives. She cultivated a huge garden and lots of houseplants while I was growing up. I was obsessed with the box and the horse when I was a young girl. Eventually I will pass these pieces back into the family collective. But right now they are treasures I love.

19 happy 09

This little box sits in front of my computer at work. It contains small items, mostly from the natural world and reminds me of all of my ramblings.  Small rocks I've picked up, a pine cone from a redwood, a shell from the beach, and a silver ohm charm to remind me to breath and be mindful.  It is something that I love that helps me remember who I really am when I am at work.  

19 happy 03

No comments: