Friday, April 18, 2008

Missoula Montana: third stop on northern sabbatical circuit


greenhough park5
Originally uploaded by J Semenza
I left Moscow and discovered that not only was the stereo and clock out of commission, but now my cruise control was out too. ARRRRGH. This was a tad scary, so I drove without much stopping to Missoula. My luck held out and this time my hotel was next door to the Toyota dealer. This dealer seemed much more above-board, and I made an appointment for them to check out my car the next day. I had scheduled two days in Missoula just to have a break.

Dropped my car off in the morning and went back to the hotel to read and watch tv. It was kinda nice to NOT be able to go do anything. They got my car done in record time. Apparently the people who "fixed" the fuse in Moscow had actually put a fuse in the wrong spot. Everything was functioning fine. Whooo hooo! I drove off and went birding at McCauley Flats and then Greenough Park. McCauley Flats was near/in the forest and I became brave and actually did the 1 mile loop walk even though there were few people. There were signs that people used the trail a lot and I'd be fine. I was. There were pygmy nuthatches and osprey. At Greenough Park there were more osprey.

The next day I stopped at both the public library and the University of Montana library. Both were excellent visits. I began to crave Chinese food so I braved the Internet till I found enough positive reviews for a little place called China Gardens. It has AMAZING food. I highly recommend the potstickers. Before calling it an evening I went back to Greenough Park. There is a big sign talking about the Pileated Woodpeckers that live there and I was hoping to see one. No such luck. :( Still, I got to see more osprey.

I did try to get the car back in to the dealer, but they didn't have time for me. They too tried to pin the blame for the electrical failure on the aftermarket cruise control or stereo.

Photos
To Missoula: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604595179026/
Birding Missoula: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604599394393/
Missoula Public Library: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604599551319/
University of Montana: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604595964060/

No comments: