Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Moscow Idaho: second stop on northern sabbatical circuit


DSC02361
Originally uploaded by J Semenza
Another early morning with lots of driving ahead. I had hoped to go to a nearby wildlife refuge before leaving the Seattle area, but with snow expected in the passes I just headed out. A fuse had blown in my car making the stereo and the clock inoperable. Twas very frustrating. The scenery is stunning on the way out of Washington, the passes, misted over and snow would occasionally fall. It didn't stick to the roads so I was fine. While driving through the mountains I came to a snow covered, partly frozen lake. One of those concrete barriers was on my left, as was the lake. So I'm looking at the lake and driving and suddenly I spot a Canada goose. The goose was standing on the other side of the concrete barrier watching the traffic. I have no idea why. Just another one of those wacky bird moments I guess.

Once out of the mountains I came to the rolling farm country of Eastern Washington. Here I did find the Columbia National Wildlife Refuge. It was remote and reminded me of Idaho, sagebrush, wetlands and small reservoirs. There were a LOT of blackbirds here. I got to Moscow and checked into my hotel and then drove around the corner to the Toyota dealer. There, they said they fixed the burned out fuse, but stuff still didn't work. They wanted me to leave my car, but I said no. It was drivable and I just had a bad feeling about it.

I had an early Tuesday morning meeting with librarians at University of Idaho and then had to hit the road for Missoula.

Photos
To Moscow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604599089859/
University of Idaho: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsemenza/sets/72157604599260001/

No comments: