Sunday, March 07, 2010

Conference Day 2 - Iditerod Day

DSC09638


We got up early and met Arlene downstairs at 7:30 a.m. And then we wandered and took pictures of the doggies, sleds, and humans that would be participating in the race. So many adorable dogs, dogs sniffing, dogs barking, dogs singing, dogs doing doggy things, dogs in their race truck kennels, noses out to smell what's going on. It was a doggy festival and they were happy and bouncy and ready to go.

After wandering for an hour we went back to the hotel and I changed clothes and went off to teach my last session of the conference. I had a nice handful of attendees and the session went fine. Afterwards I met up with Page and took care of the paperwork.

When I got back to the hotel I changed clothes again and called Arlene. Melinda and I were both really hungry so we took off for lunch. Arlene took us to the Beartooth (relative of the Moose's tooth restaurant). They were out of halibut so instead of fish and chips Min and I shared a huge thing of nachos. We then got in the car and headed out of town. Completely forgetting about the Iditerod.

No birds to be seen, and the road was getting snowy so we turned around. On our way back in we remembered the race. But it was too late. *sniff* This was quite disappointing and I'm trying to just get over it. But I really did want to see the dogs running. :(

DSC09652


We drove over to the park where we had seen so many birds, but again, other than Ravens they weren't to be seen, though they were heard. It was gorgeous and still and quiet and lovely with snow falling.

Then back to the hotel. I really needed a nap and Arlene needed to prep for her presentation tomorrow morning.

Melinda and I caught the early evening news (including some footage of the race start) and then a fabulous 30 minute weather in Alaska broadcast. I did nap and skipped the last session on ethics of web 2.0. The sleep was necessary.

Upon awakening we made arrangements for dinner and went to the China Lights buffet. Large buffet with mediocre food but filling and the conversation was good.

It'll be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

Tomorrow brought new birds, scenery and marvelous things and I became just fine with skipping the dogs taking off. After all, I would have only stood around for a few moments before being too cold anyway. I did get to watch lots of it on the news here. :)

No comments: