Thursday, March 04, 2010

Out and About Anchorage

DSC09355


Morning started really early, or late if we're still on Idaho time. I woke up at 5:00 a.m. Alaska time and stayed in bed for another 1.5 hours just because. We had arranged to meet Arlene at the Snow City diner for breakfast.

Getting dressed is always a challenge, do I go with super warm clothes cause we'll be outside or light weight ones cause we'll be inside. I was going to wear my red shirt, but Melinda beat me to it and wore hers. Good thing I changed my minds, cause when Arlene showed up she too was wearing a red shirt. I ended up with lightweight wool socks, blue silk crinkle shirt, black pleather vest, and black pants.

We walked over to the diner and got seated. I got yummy oatmeal with bacon on the side for breakfast. For the first time in a long time the bacon did not give me nausea. Then we went to Arlene's car and she started driving us around to look at stuff. We found a flock of redpolls and many common ravens. The zoo was next, (I should have worn the long underwear).

The zoo was filled with native animals that were feeling frisky. I've never seen a wolverine running, and running, and running. The polar bears were wrestling, the wolves were frisking and the ravens flew close enough for us to hear the buzzing sound their wings make. We heard boreal chickadees though we didn't see them.

Next we went to sams club for me to pick up the last supplies for the conference, then off to the grocery store. This means we don't have to buy breakfast every day. (Phew) Then we headed over to the library. Arlene needed to work at the desk and I needed more pictures of the library, particularly the exterior.

First Arlene showed us to a break room where we could eat lunch. I had picked up a piece of quiche from the grocery store and some chips. The quiche was icky so I tossed it, ate a few chips and carried on. Frankly, I wasn't that hungry cause breakfast was very large. While waiting Trina came in and we talked some and then Jodee from collection development then Page and... Well, Page came back and we went to her office to go over paperwork and other miscellaneous things. Eventually we went to Arlene's office. Melinda stayed there and I left my stuff and took off with the camera to get more photos.

It was surprisingly warm 40 degrees, semi-sunny and slightly humid. A lovely afternoon. I took pictures of the outside of the building and then more of the inside and then back to Special Collections. Arlene had girl scout cookies. She had LEMON girl scout cookies. I didn't know they came in lemon. Yummy. After much hanging around we left.

An early dinner at the Arctic Roadrunner (location 2) came next. I ordered the grilled 3 cheese sandwich with onion ring bits and tomato ravioli soup. It was truly delicious. Then back to the hotel.

We rested while Arlene took care of her kitties and gathered up her exhibit. We then met her downstairs and helped her assemble the multipieced Alaska, Dogs, Librarians display. When finished we toddled off to bed.

No comments: