Friday, March 05, 2010

The Preconference


Today was the big day... The Preconference. This is the view from the room I was teaching in, there were many distracting ravens doing acrobatics during my presentations...

Melinda and I got up early, dressed, loaded up and headed down the elevator to registration. There we found out (allegedly) where I would be speaking. Hijinks then ensued as we tried the two elevators we knew about and much walking around before finally asking the concierge dude where to go. there was a much hidden third elevator we needed to use. Thank heavens we left early. After arriving I got to set up and then present. EEP. I think it went very well, I found it interesting, they were talkative and we had a good time.

I skipped a few of the exercises on the biggest challenges for time and sanity's sake. The ones we focused on were the most important and the discussion was interesting. Lunch was a boxed wrap thing that we ate in the room, continuing the previous conversations.

As the session ended I realized how much pain I was in from standing. I sat down and stayed there for a long while. Melinda was a lot of help. She gathered up all my debris and put it together. Page came with us back to the hotel room so that I could keep the boxes/handouts/binders to take to other sessions. She had a hand truck which was great, I was much too tired to be lugging the box 'o stuff around anymore.

I tried to nap but it eluded me. So I rested and rested. We made arrangements to meet Arlene downstairs. While waiting for her a bus pulled up and unloaded all of these older folks wearing fur coats and toting lots of luggage. Eventually we started getting up and holding the door. The doors to the hotel are not automatic and they are big and heavy. It was our good deed(s) of the day. In particular I noticed a couple of ladies with stretched faces and poofy duck lips, tons of regular folks and one stylish lady with gray hair, fancy boots with heels and a really long fur coat. Melinda said 'that's the Rebecca of the future' and I totally agreed with her. Arlene arrived and off we went to Sorrento's for amazing Italian food. I had the four cheese pasta with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

By the time we got back to the room (just before 8) I was more than tired. I got ready for bed and by the time I got in it I was ready. It's been hard to sleep recently (aka the last few weeks). So I was a bit worried that I'd lay down and wake right up. I didn't. I slept. It was great.

No comments: