Friday, March 12, 2010

Final day in Anchorage

DSC00194

Our last day in Anchorage, Melinda and I slept in. The hotel graciously allowed me a later checkout (3:00 p.m.) so we hung out, talked, ate lunch in the hotel and napped. About 3:00 Arlene came by to pick us up and we headed out. The snow had fallen and was continuing to fall. They may have had to truck in snow to cover the street for the Iditarod, but now ... There was also quite a bit of wind blowing drifts hither and thither. There was no parking at the museum so we went to the Alaska Native Medical Center, which Arlene has discovered has a nice collection of native art.


DSC00208

We drove around hoping for Ravens and finding public art, lovely snow covered trees and silly signs. Full circle, we had dinner at the same diner we stopped at on the first day in Anchorage. They have post offices that stay open really, really late. Who'd a thunk that 9:30 pm would be a busy time at the post office? I sent my box home via priority mail, much cheaper than taking it
on the plane. Arlene dropped us off at the airport at 10:00 p.m.

After checking our bags Melinda and I got together and played boggle at the Chili's inside of the airport. At 11:30 we had to stop and head for our respective gates. I hate the parting part. My flight left at midnight, completely packed and headed for Seattle. I had dumped my water bottle before going through the TSA checkpoint at the Anchorage airport. Once in I decided to buy a new bottle, but was thwarted by the $3 price tag. I'm just not going to pay that much for a bottle of water. In line to get on the plane another TSA approached me and asked me if I had any liquids, other than the little stuff in the plastic baggie. BWHAHAHAHAHAHA (in my head) No I said, I wouldn't pay 3 bucks for a bottle... She suggested that what she does is bring her own bottle and fills it at the water fountain. :) She had to move on and test someone elses water. Why yes, I did the happy bum dance for that.

Once on the plane I hoped for sleep. I was sooooo tired. Sleep eluded me. At Seattle I recharged my phone, hunted down a less than $2 bottle of water and waited for my next flight. On this flight I closed my eyes and hoped for sleep but once again... There's a chance I got the 1-10 minute out, but overall I don't remember sleeping at all. In Boise we stayed on the plane for a quick turn around. I texted Nick asking him to pick up breakfast for me. He met the very tired me at the Idaho Falls airport and the food was waiting in the car. Funny, I wasn't able to sleep in the car on the way home either. Once home though... Poof out like a light.


DSC00179

I had a lovely time in Anchorage. The people were great, the conference was interesting and my presentations were fine. Melinda and I had great fun with Arlene and I got to see Anchorage in it's snowy glory. Marvelous.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

It looks like you guys had a blast. What an amazing adventure!