Saturday, May 19, 2012

Valdez back to Anchorage

Morning began with a trip to the Magpie Bakery a fabulous place for breakfast in Valdez.  Nothing like a hot cinnamon roll for breakfast.  :)  They even had gluten free pumpkin muffins for Melinda.  Arlene got one of there amazing looking bear claws.  MMMMmmmmm.   Laid back atmosphere and amazing pastries.

First bird of the day was a Raven on the way to the bakery. YAY that's always a good thing.  First mammal of the day was a feral bunny on our way out of the bakery.  Hmmmmm

We did a little birding there in Valdez. This is when we finally spotted the elusive and much sought after (by us) American Dipper.  We were about to give up when one flew in (spotted by Arlene) and then watched by all of us.  Then there were two dippers fishing, swimming (I had no idea they knew how to swim) and catching itsy bitsy silver fish (I had no idea they ate fish either).  I sure hope my pictures turn out well.   Then we climbed back in the car and headed out.


  1. Ravens
  2. FERAL BUNNY
  3. Northwestern crows
  4. Gadwalls
  5. Mallards
  6. Pintails
  7. American wigeon
  8. White crowned sparrow (Jenny only)
  9. Robins
  10. American dippers
  11. Herring gulls
  12. Sandpipers (probably the pectoral ones again)
    1. Tussock ducks
We then drove and drove and drove, over the mountains of Thompson Pass, and through the valleys on the Richardson Highway http://dot.alaska.gov/stwdplng/scenic/byways-richardsonsouth.shtml We stopped frequently, which was good for me. As long as I can get out of the car and take pictures or identify birds on a regular basis then I can stay awake, otherwise forget about it.  I became a human flycatcher, flitting away from my resting place (the car) out for something and then back.   We stopped for lunch at the Copper River Roadhouse at a restaurant called Nummy's, which I still think is a cute name.   We saw sections of the pipeline and many many mountains.   

  1. Common redpolls
  2. Dark eyed juncos
  3. Magpies
  4. Trumpeter swan
  5. Bald eagles
  6. Barrows goldeneyes
    1. Snow swans
  7. Greater scaups
  8. Green winged teals
  9. Tree swallows
  10. Gray jays
  11. CARIBOU
  12. Yellow warblers
  13. Yellow rumped warblers
  14. Belted kingfisher
I spotted the Gray jay while we were driving, I'm sitting in the back seat watching for stuff and there's this darn bird at the top of a tree flipping its tail at me.  It was definitely a gray jay so I holler out and Arlene slows and stops and turns around and we go back.  YAY!

I think both Melinda and I were dozing when suddenly Arlene starts yelling Caribou Caribou CARIBOU while slamming on her brakes.   It is a very good way to wake up.  She turns the car around and sure enough there are two huge caribou just off the road.  We took lots of pictures while they posed for us.

We arrived back in Anchorage around 5:00 hung out for awhile with Daria and then went to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant called La Mex, it was exactly what I needed.  Back home to Daria's and back upstairs to bed. Though I did take some time to balance my accounts...  All the goings and doings may mean fewer souvenirs for friends and family. Think I'll wait to buy anything till the last day.  :\    Sad sad, but I am definitely recovering from the overwork of the past year.  This is a much needed break.  

2 comments:

Arlene Schmuland said...

I wasn't yelling, I was calling. And I also didn't turn the car around: I just backed up on the shoulder of the highway for the several hundred feet. :)

Jenny Lynne said...

You just keep telling yourself that. :)