Saturday, May 30, 2009

Great Salt Lake Bird Festival May 15-17


Ah, the Great Salt Lake Bird Festival that was something else! I began Friday by driving up to BYU Idaho. I was the closing speaker for their Library Week festivities. I was able to take 1.5 hours for my Notes from a Wandering Librarian and that was a relief. I'm normally talking so fast it's a little obnoxious. It was interesting to visit the old Ricks campus, so familiar and yet so foreign now. The library used to take one wing of the building with administration in the other wing. Now the library occupies both wings. Lunch with librarians and then back to Pocatello to repack for my next trip.

On the drive down to Farmington on Friday evening I called Krista and sure enough she and Terrial were available for dinner. We met up at Applebees and had a great visit. It seems impromptu works well for both of us. We stayed at a nearby Day's Inn. It was important to drive down Friday cause I had signed us up for a 7:00 a.m. bird tour.

The tour "Glover Ponds at Sunrise" was very fascinating, not just for the birds, but for the birders. I'm so used to going with family and being silly that the seriousness of the group was a bit intimidating. I am not going to let that put me off. Next year I'm going again, only maybe I'll wear clown shoes and a nose. They seemed so afraid of getting it wrong. Pity.

We saw lots of bird species and many, many, adorable chicks (as in baby birds).

Western kingbirds, Yellow-rumped warblers, Marsh wrens

Brewers, Red-winged, and Yellow-headed blackbirds

Great blue herons, Snowy egrets, American avocets +chicks, Black-necked stilts, Kildeer, Snowy plovers, White-faced ibises, Sandhill cranes +chicks, Double-crested cormorants

Pied billed grebes, Western grebes

Canada geese, Northern shovelers, Redheads, Cinnamon teals, Ruddy ducks, Gadwalls, Mallards, Coots

Forsters terns

Tree, Barn, Cliff and Bank swallows

Red-tailed hawks

Ravens, Crows, Magpies, Starlings

The program advertised the Glover Ponds tour as:
"These ponds bring YOU into nature, with an enriching experience, as you come in contact with this marsh habitat. The Nature Center deck and surrounding wetlands at the edge of Great Salt Lake, enhances your opportunity for close-up observation. A nearby Great Blue Heron rookery will be active and Avocets will be building nests. Other possible species include: Cinnamon Teal, four species of grebes, Snowy Egrets, Ruddy Ducks, American Pelicans, plus other shorebirds, and other wildlife."

--------------------------------------------------------

I attended a couple of workshops on Saturday. (Including the Raptor one).

The "Nature Photography" class was interesting and I learned a lot of basics on how to take better pictures.

The "Ruling by Obfuscation: Tyrant Flycatchers of Utah" was great and I have a marvelous cheat sheet that I need to make copies of and affix to my bird books. I'm not sure if I am more confused or less confused but I'm sure I learned something. The blurb for the workshop was marvelous:

"Are you confused about flycatchers? Losing sleep over the Empidonax group? Do you lash out at family and friends when they bring up lower mandible coloration? You should consider an experimental new treatment: Flycatcher Stress Reduction Therapy. The treatment is free and you can be seen on a walk-in basis. So don’t let flycatcher confusion rule your life any longer. Come and learn the truth about flycatcher identification. Plumage characteristics are not always enough, but you can use other distinguishing features like song, habitat, and even behavior to help surmount your fear of misidentification. You can go from “Oh no, it’s a flycatcher, let’s go the other way” to ”OH LOOK! It’s a flycatcher, let’s figure out which
one!”

I got a little turned around on our way back to the festival after lunch. This meant we wandered into a neighborhood with a fantastic yard sale. We've now officially replaced our ice cream maker with one that seems much more sturdy.

There were a lot of activities geared for kids at the festival and the workshops were all free. I'd highly recommend this as an activity for families!

No comments: