Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Horseback riding


DSC07753
Originally uploaded by J Semenza
I grew up on horses. I love them. One of my fondest memories is of the two weeks I got to spend on Sandy, my Welsh pony. The Jr. High burned down so I had two whole weeks with siblings still in school and the freedom of my little palomino. While birding with the Salt Lake Audubon group I discovered a thing called Bird Festivals.

Who knew that such a thing existed. I was so excited I came home and signed us up for a couple of outings. One of which was titled Birds and Spurs. Birding on horseback, sounded delightful! After paying for all of it I realized that I might not actually be in good enough shape to endure the experience. After all, I hadn't been on a horse in at least 15 years.

I talked it over with Nick and we signed up to go to the ISU outdoors program sponsored horseback riding practice. I am so glad we did. I am not the athletic girl I once was. We were able to attend two of these sessions before going out to the Birdfest. During these sessions I rediscovered my ability to boss a horse around. To not be intimidated by the lovely creatures and eventually, with the aid of a mounting block be able to get on with at least a modicum of grace.

Now I am looking forward to more riding sessions with the outdoors program. Who knows, maybe horses really are back in my life.

I'd love that.

Jenny

1 comment:

Nanette South Clark said...

I am so jealous and happy for you that you get to ride horses again. What fun!